After anti-Covid lockdown break, India to return to cricket field playing against Australia | Railways to provide trains for migrant workers on states' request: Supreme Court | Madras HC declares Jayalalithaa's niece and nephew as her legal heirs to property | India adds new 6,566 Covid-19 cases, registers 194 deaths in 24 hours | Karnataka asks PM Modi to allow reopening of temples, mosques, churches from Jun 1 |

SevenJackpots compare Indias most popular online casino, we love online gambling and are here to help Indian gamblers find the best casino sites with fastest withdrawal options.

Ads
Amid Coronavirus crisis Wimbledon 2020 cancelled, to be held mid next year

Image credit: Free wallpaper

Amid Coronavirus crisis Wimbledon 2020 cancelled, to be held mid next year

India Blooms News Service | @indiablooms | 01 Apr 2020, 10:57 pm

London/IBNS: Amid the havoc created worldwide by the Coronavirus pandemic, Wimbledon organisers on Wednesday cancelled the Grand Slam for the first time ever since World War II.

"It is with great regret that the AELTC has today decided that The Championships 2020 will be cancelled due to public health concerns linked to the coronavirus epidemic," the organisers stated on Wednesday.

The 134th Championships will instead be staged from 28 June to 11 July 2021.

"Since the emergence of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in January, we have followed guidance from the UK Government and public health authorities in relation to our year-round operations, alongside developing an understanding of the likely trajectory of the outbreak in the UK," the organisers' statement claimed.

Following a series of detailed deliberations on all of the above, it is the Committee of Management’s view that cancellation of The Championships is the best decision in the interests of public health, and that being able to provide certainty by taking this decision now, rather than in several weeks, is important for everyone involved in tennis and The Championships.

Members of the public who paid for tickets in the Wimbledon Public Ballot for this year’s Championships will have their tickets refunded and will be offered the chance to purchase tickets for the same day and court for The Championships 2021.

All England Club chairman Ian Hewitt said the decision had not been taken lightly.

"It has weighed heavily on our minds that the staging of The Championships has only been interrupted previously by world wars," he said.

"Our thoughts are with all those who have been and continue to be affected by these unprecedented times," he added.

 

 

Amid Coronavirus crisis Wimbledon 2020 cancelled, to be held mid next year

India Blooms News Service
Comments ()

Post your comment:

Web Analytics